POSITION: GIS Specialist
REPORTS TO: Director of Rail Infrastructure
DEPARTMENT: Rail Infrastructure
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission (ONTC) is an Agency of the Province of Ontario that provides efficient and vital transportation services (rail passenger/freight, coach bus, parcel and remanufacturing/repair). We employ over 750 skilled professionals and are over 120 years old and proud of our heritage and connection to the communities we serve. We are focused on moving forward with the goal of being a valued leader in transportation. We offer competitive salary, excellent benefits, a defined benefit pension plan, paid vacation, 3 paid personal leave days along with discounted transportation on our bus and passenger rail services.
The Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist will serve as the lead ONTC coordinator in managing all GIS-specific feature/asset information, master databases and data migration, GIS processes, systems, applications, figure creation, modeling and employee training/guidance. In this advanced, interesting and diverse role, the GIS Specialist will provide technical specialization, services and support organization wide.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the primary ONTC lead/authority for all GIS-specific needs
- Create, organize and maintain internal, master GIS database
- Work with business units and project managers on data migration, requirements to input and organize asset/feature GIS information
- Develop internal request system and complete GIS work (e.g., figures/visualizations, modeling, converting data, boundary/feature input and modification, fulfilling various queries, etc.)
- Lead in the development of new, internal GIS viewer and web-based applications using ArcGIS Enterprise interface
- Utilize technical data to innovate and produce spatial/temporal modeling, statistics, graphs and visualizations, etc.
- Develop various GIS-specific policy/guidance documents addressing training, awareness, safeguards for data accuracy, QA/QC, data reliance, modification, etc.
- Assist with technical reports, briefings, executive summaries, presentations, communications and publications, RFPs and project specifications, as needed
- Coordinating external vendor and consultant work, as needed
- Assist, as required, with various field tasks including site inspections, potential drone/UAV work, remote sensing, surveying investigations, environmental data collection, etc.
- Minimum advanced GIS College program/diploma and/or University Bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography/cartography, computer science or a related field
- 5-8 years’ of direct GIS work and project experience
- Expert knowledge of GIS applications, particularly ESRI ArcGIS and web-based mapping software. Skill in related GIS software applications also considered an asset (e.g., QGIS, R, CAD, etc.)
- Desire and ability to directly manage and innovate GIS systems within a large, regional organization; working with a number of functional groups in a dynamic work environment
- Consulting/engineering, gov. agency and/or transportation industry experience preferred
- Experience working with large technical datasets/shapefiles relative to infrastructure and transportation projects preferred, carrying data across various digital formats/applications including viewer applications
- Strong asset inventory and master GIS database organization, management experience required
- Experience working with environmental feature data, DEMs, remote sensing, etc.
- Experience programming (e.g., scripting in Python) related to GIS applications considered an asset
- Construction, Northern Ontario knowledge/experience considered an asset
- Excellent spatial/temporal modeling, statistical analysis skills and training desired
- Ability to take initiative, with keen attention to detail. Excellent problem solving skills and technical prowess
- Strong leadership qualities. Ability to work both as a team member and independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Expert knowledge of MS Office, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Must possess a valid G driver’s license
- Committed to company health and safety
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal record check
- Employment references
- Education verification
CLOSING DATE: January 29, 2023 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number to:
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 494.