Ontario Northland is committed to providing a safe and pleasant environment for all its passengers and employees.
The Passenger Code of Conduct policy is intended to provide guidelines to users of Ontario Northland’s transportation systems and facilities.
Passenger Code of Conduct for a Respectful and Safe Environment
The following disrespectful or unsafe behaviour will not be tolerated on board Ontario Northland transportation services or in our stations:
- Endangering the safety of others or the safe operation of a bus or train
- Verbal or physical abuse
- Threats, harassment or intimidating behaviour
- Intoxication and/or disorderly conduct
- Consumption or distribution of personal alcoholic beverages, marijuana or illegal substances
- Smoking or the use of electronic smoking devices
- Carrying a weapon or a false declaration that you or any other person is carrying a weapon
In case of disrespectful or unsafe behaviour, transportation may be refused. Police may also be asked to intervene and offenders may be prosecuted.
Ontario Northland offers a 100% smoke-free environment on our buses, trains and stations. Health Canada is advising Canadians not to use electronic smoking products, as these products may pose health risks and have not been fully evaluated for safety, quality and efficacy by Health Canada. Therefore and until further notice, the use of electronic cigarettes is not permitted on board trains, buses and in stations and other facilities of Ontario Northland.
Provincial liquor laws prohibit the consumption of personal liquor on our buses or trains.
Unchecked baggage - Ontario Northland assumes no liability for articles lost or left on a motor coach, train, or in a station. Please notify us at 1-800-461-8558 (bus) if you have left something behind. Once notified, we will make every effort to recover your personal belongings.
- Bus:Pets are not permitted on our motor coach service. People with disabilities that travel with a service animal are welcome aboard. Passengers that require an Emotional Support Dog are permitted provided certain conditions can be met in entirety.
- Train:Pets are permitted on the Polar Bear Express in the baggage storage car, as long as they are in a proper pet carrier. People with disabilities that travel with a service animal are welcome on the Polar Bear Express. Customers are required to complete a release form at either the Cochrane or Moosonee Station.
- Bus:Ontario Northland does not provide seat belts on all motor coaches. Our newer bus fleet is equipped with three point lap/shoulder belts. While we recommend the use of these seatbelts (where available), it is not mandatory.
- Train: Ontario Northland does not provide seat belts on the Polar Bear Express.
Customers are welcome to use child safety seats on Ontario Northland buses that are equipped with the 3-point harness, providing a children's fare ticket is purchased for the seat space. The customer is responsible for securing the child safety seat to the three point lap/shoulder belt, where provided. Ontario Northland will not be responsible for securing the child car seat to the bus seat.
- Bus:Customers holding an Ontario Northland reserved ticket receive priority boarding on their scheduled trip. Seats are not assigned; reserved ticket holders are boarded first at all locations; all other customers are boarded on a first come, first serve basis.
Train:Customers are required to purchase tickets prior to the date of departure to ensure a seat on the train. Seats are assigned at time of ticket purchase. Ontario Northland will make every effort to seat you with your family and travelling companions when available. We encourage all customers to purchase your ticket in advance to avoid disappointment.
Customers are requested to sit in their assigned seat until the Conductor has collected all passenger tickets, at which point passengers are free to move to an available empty seat.