POSITION: Legal Counsel
REPORTS TO: General Counsel
DEPARTMENT: Legal & Realty Services
LOCATION: North Bay
WHO WE ARE:
Ontario Northland is an Ontario Crown Corporation providing vital rail and inter-community bus transportation services in the Near North (Barrie, Muskoka and North Bay), Northern Ontario, Eastern Manitoba and Western Quebec. Part of the integrated transportation system that is growing throughout the Province under the direction of the Ministry of Transportation, Ontario Northland provides passengers and rail freight customers with essential connections between communities and to Southern Ontario and the major Canadian railways. Ontario Northland’s head office in North Bay is just one hours’ drive north of Muskoka and three hours’ drive from the GTA and Ottawa. The Near North region is the perfect location for achieving a work-life balance, with access to lakes, hiking trails and other recreational activities minutes from the office. This position offers the opportunity to do meaningful work in a growing transportation network that makes a difference in the lives of the people living and working north of the GTA.
The Legal Counsel shall be responsible for providing legal advice and services to all departments of Ontario Northland, senior management and the executive primarily in the areas of real estate and litigation/claims.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leases and Licenses: Draft and review land and building leases and licenses for the use of Ontario Northland’s real property, including crossing agreements.
- Land Sales: Complete transactions for the sale of Ontario Northland’s real property.
- Contaminated Property: Draft and review tolling agreements and permission to enter agreements with third parties related to third party contamination of Ontario Northland property. Review environmental testing reports upon receipt. Maintain an up-to-date list of contaminated properties with action items.
- General Real Estate: Provide advice to all departments regarding realty matters. Update the Ontario Northland realty policy in response to changes in provincial directives and Ontario Northland’s processes.
- Litigation: Manage and track litigation matters and manage and provide instructions to external counsel assigned to the matters.
- Claims: Review third party claims made against Ontario Northland for personal injuries and property damage and negotiate resolution with the complainant.
- Insurance: Manage the corporation’s insurance program, including annual renewals and updates to coverage. Liaise with the insurance brokers regarding insured litigation and claims. Provide advice regarding insurance provisions in agreements with third parties.
- Commercial: Provide advice on, draft and review commercial agreements as required.
- Other duties as required, including legal research, drafting policies and procedures and acting as General Counsel for the corporation during times when General Counsel is not available.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of real property law, including the ability to interpret title documents, draft real property related documents and complete sale transactions for real property.
- Ability to draft and review commercial agreements.
- Ability to analyze claims and determine the appropriate resolution, while protecting the interests of Ontario Northland.
- Ability to interpret insurance policies and determine appropriate levels of insurance coverage in commercial agreements based on the allocation of risk between the parties.
- Ability to draft and review unique commercial agreements.
- Legal research skills, including ability to use Westlaw and Lexis-Nexis.
- Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to create working relationships with people at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to explain complex legal concepts and issues in a manner understandable by people with limited knowledge of legal matters.
Education and Experience:
- Lawyer member of the Law Society of Ontario or the ability to obtain a membership.
- A minimum of two years’ experience practicing any one of real property, personal injury or commercial law and an interest in acquiring experience in the other areas.
- Experience working in the public sector would be an asset.
- Experience working with railways, public transportation and/or manufacturing would be an asset.
- Experience managing a corporate insurance program would be an asset.
- Knowledge of environmental law would be an asset.
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2020 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number.