1. Accountability for Personal Information
Personal information is any recorded information about an identifiable individual, and may include:
- name, address, telephone number or email address;
- birth date;
- any identifying number, symbol or other particular identifier; and
- correspondence that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature.
Pursuant to Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act(“FIPPA”), ONTC is responsible for personal information in its custody or under its control.
2. Consent for the Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
By submitting your personal information to ONTC, you give ONTC consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information:
- for such other purposes as may be identified to you at the time of collection; and
- for such purposes as are permitted pursuant to applicable law.
Subject to applicable law, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by providing written notice to us. However, please note that your withdrawal of consent may affect our ability to respond to your requests or provide services to you.
3. Collection of Personal Information
Your personal information is collected as required to enable ONTC to provide services and/or products to you, now and in the future. ONTC may collect personal information from you in person, over the telephone, by mail, by fax, or through the internet.
We may operate video cameras in our facilities for the safety, security and protection of ONTC staff, visitors and customers as well as for the prevention and detection of criminal activity.
4. Purposes for the Collection of Personal Information
ONTC shall have the right to use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide our products and services to you, including:
- to communicate with you about our products and services;
- to verify your identity and/or eligibility for certain ONTC services;
- to process financial and other transactions, such as processing a fare payment or issuing a refund;
- to conduct promotional campaigns, including contests, draws, raffles, promotions and offers for third party products and services;
- to provide you with information on new products, services or upcoming events, including third party events sponsored by ONTC; and
- to conduct and administer rewards or loyalty programs.
- To manage, develop and improve our operations, products and services, including:
- to respond to comments, questions or complaints;
- to detect and prevent theft and other illegal activities;
- to enforce and administer ONTC rules, by-laws and policies; and
- to audit internal procedures.
- To assess, process and administer: applications for employment; injury, damage and other claims; and tenders, proposals and contracts.
- For research, statistical, planning and actuarial purposes, including:
- to analyse business results, trends and patterns; and
- to conduct market research.
- For any other purpose required or authorized by law.
We may also use your personal information to create aggregated data. Aggregated data is data that is placed in a format that prevents or limits the chance of revealing an individual’s identity. It may be used to show general statistics or track customer behavior as a whole (for example, the number of customers living in a certain area). Such aggregated information is used by ONTC to plan, develop, implement, market and promote our services and products. It will not be used to identify you.
If we require personal information for any purpose(s) other than those set above, we will ask for and obtain your consent before using your personal information for such purpose.
5. Disclosure of Personal Information
ONTC may from time to time provide your personal information to third parties that we work with to provide our products and services or who have a need to know the information for one of the purposes described above. This may include circumstances where:
- aggregated data is provided to third parties for the purposes of planning, developing, implementing, marketing or promoting ONTC services, or for research, statistical, planning and actuarial purposes;
- disclosure is required or permitted by law or pursuant to a court order; or
- disclosure to a third party is reasonably required to facilitate the provision of our products or services.
6. Limiting Collection, Use, Disclosure and Retention of Personal Information
Once collected, personal information will only be used and disclosed:
- as required or permitted by applicable law.
7. Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
ONTC will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up–to–date. If you wish to verify, update, remove or amend your personal information in our records, please notify us in writing at the address set out below. If you successfully demonstrate the inaccuracy or incompleteness of your personal information, we will amend your information as required. Depending upon the nature of the information challenged, amendment may involve the correction, deletion, or addition of information. Where appropriate, we will provide the corrected information to third parties that have access to your information.
8. Ensuring Safeguards for Personal Information
Security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information are used to protect personal information collected by ONTC against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Technical, contractual administrative and physical security measures, or a combination thereof, may be used. ONTC protects personal information regardless of the format in which it is held.
9. Openness about Policies and Practices
We are committed to ensuring that information about our privacy policies and practices is available to you. ONTC makes general information regarding its privacy policies and practises available on its website. For additional information, please contact the ONTC Legal Counsel at 555 Oak Street East, North Bay, Ontario P1B 8L3, (705) 472-4500 ext. 316.
10. Individual Access to Your Own Personal Information
Upon written request, we will confirm the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information. You may request access to your personal information at any time. Please provide sufficient information in your request to enable ONTC to provide an accurate account of your personal information. Depending on the nature and complexity of the request, you may be required to pay a fee (as prescribed by FIPPA) before your request can be processed.
In certain situations, ONTC may not be able to provide access to all personal information it holds about you. For example, we may not be able to disclose information if the record also contains references to other individuals, contains confidential information, or is subject to legal privilege. Exceptions to the access requirements are determined in accordance with applicable law, and the reasons for denying access will be provided to you.
11. Challenging Compliance
Any questions pertaining to the privacy concerns should be addressed to:
ONTC Legal Counsel
Ontario Northland Transportation Commission
555 Oak Street East
North Bay, Ontario, P1B 8L3
(705) 472-4500 ext. 316
Your Privacy: Frequently Asked Questions
What is personal information?
“Personal information” is any recorded information about an identifiable individual. Examples of personal information include:
- your name, address, birth date, address, email address, and telephone number
- financial information, such as credit or debit card information or bank account information, used to process pre-authorized payments
- correspondence describing a personal experience with an ONTC service, and replies to that correspondence
- personal opinions or views expressed in a letter or email to ONTC
- demographic information collected as part of a survey
- language preference provided when requested
- information relating to your education or employment history, collected when you apply to work at ONTC
What is NOT personal information?
Any data that has been collected in which all personal identifiers have been removed, making determination of your identity impossible, is not personal information. Also, your job title, business address and business telephone number are not personal information.
Why does ONTC need my personal information?
We need to collect personal information from you from time to time in order to provide our services to you, to promote our services, to make our services better and to operate our business in accordance with legal requirements.
What personal information does ONTC collect?
The type of information we collect depends on the ONTC services you choose to use. For example:
- We may collect your name and email address so that we can correspond with you, or respond to your questions.
- If you choose to purchase a passenger ticket , we may collect your name, address, email address and financial information from you.
- If you choose to use our shipping services we may collect your name, address, email address and financial information as well as third party consignee information.
- We may collect your name, address, email address or other personal information when you enter a contest or wish to take advantage of a promotion sponsored by ONTC.
- More detailed information may be required if you violate any of ONTC’s rules.
How does ONTC use my personal information?
Who has access to my personal information?
ONTC may also be required to disclose your personal information to people outside of ONTC for legal or regulatory reasons. Such disclosure is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
How is my personal information protected?
We use a variety of means to protect your personal information. Depending on the type of information, these may include any or all of the following:
- Technical safeguards, such as the use of passwords, encryption and firewalls;
- Physical safeguards, such as facility access controls, workstation security, placing written information in locked filing cabinets, and mobile device security requirements, as and when required;
- Administrative safeguards, such as requirements for employee security clearances and limiting access on a "need-to-know" basis.
We make every effort to ensure that these safeguards not only comply with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act but also, where appropriate, reflect current trends and privacy best practices/industry standards.
Can I find out what kind of personal information ONTC collects and retains?
Yes. For a listing of all Personal Information Banks maintained by ONTC, please visit the Directory of Records maintained by the Ministry of Government Services.
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) defines a Personal Information Bank as “a collection of personal information that is organized and capable of being retrieved using an individual’s name or an identifying number or particular assigned to the individual”.
How long will you keep my personal information?
ONTC will keep your personal information for as long as the information is required for the identified purpose(s). After that, ONTC is required to retain your personal information for a further period as determined by theFreedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Actand other applicable law.
What if I don’t want ONTC to use my personal information?
If you do not want ONTC to use your personal information, you may choose not to provide it to us or you may withdraw your consent at any time by providing written notice to us; however, this may affect our ability to respond to your requests or provide services to you.
Can I access or update my personal information?
Yes. If you wish to access or update the information we have about you, please contact ONTC’ Privacy Officer at the address listed below.
ONTC Legal CounselOntario Northland Transportation Commission
555 Oak Street East
North Bay, Ontario, P1B 8L3
(705) 472-4500 ext. 316