Under the direction of the District Managers and Extra Gang Supervisor, Track Maintainers/Extra Gang Labourers work as a part of the Rail Infrastructure team that is responsible for the ongoing maintenance and safety of our 693 miles of track. Ontario Northland’s track extends north from North Bay, to Moosonee near James Bay and west from Hearst to Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec in the east.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform tasks associated with track work including but not limited to, pulling and driving spikes, replacing ties, surfacing track, changing rail, bars, and other track components
- Operate in a safe and efficient manner, all equipment and tools associated with track maintenance
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and federal and provincial regulations
- Comply fully with all Safety Rules
- Grade 12 diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent
- Work effectively within a team
- Perform duties that require heavy lifting
- Good hand eye coordination
- Work outdoors in varying temperatures and weather conditions
- Work varying work schedules
- Work in isolated areas
- Must possess a minimum of ‘G’ driver’s license
- Travel frequently and be away from home for extended periods of time
- Able to qualify in Canadian Rail Operating Rules (CROR), and MTR (Transport Canada Rules Respecting Track Safety)
- Frequent lifting up to 50lbs
- Occasional lifting up to 75lbs
- Extended periods of standing & walking
- Carrying objects weighing 50 to 75lbs
- Using hand tools that weigh in excess of 20lbs
- Working outdoors in various weather conditions (sometimes extreme) and regular exposure to dust and pollen
- Regular exposure to noise and vibration
- Walking and working over rough terrain and embankments
Track Maintainers/Labourers may have the opportunity to apply for such positions as Work Equipment Operators, Foreman, as well as management positions.
CLOSING DATE: July 15, 2018 no later than 11:59 p.m. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number.
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.