Reporting to the Director, Human Resources the Labour & Employee Relations Manager is a highly influential role, responsible and accountable for managing all aspects of labour and employee relations, including collective bargaining, the grievance and arbitration process, and labour-management relations. As part of the broader Human Resources team, this role works closely with the Health & Safety Manager and the Human Resources Manager to foster and support positive relationships between the Management team, the Union Executive, and Employees.
MAJOR DUTIES/ RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitates regular meetings with union executive to facilitate positive employee-employer relationships and a productive labour relations environment
- Provides consistent interpretation of collective agreement language
- Supports management to ensure appropriate actions are taken with regard to human rights and respectful workplace complaints, workplace investigations, and mediation of workplace conflict, ensuring the appropriateness of any corrective action deemed necessary
- Oversees the grievance management process to ensure grievances are responded to within timelines and that resolution is achieved at the lowest step possible
- Conducts research and prepares materials for grievance, arbitration, and labour litigation cases
- Prepares labour contracts and works with management to identify issues for collective bargaining and develop strategies for negotiations
- Participates in the collective bargaining process for all labour contracts
- Ensures training in place to support the organization’s Respectful Workplace Policy
- Completion of post-secondary program in human resources, labour/industrial relations, or equivalent combination of education & experience
- Professional certification in Human Resources Management (CHRP/CHRL/CHRE)
- 8 - 10 years progressively responsible experience in Human Resources in a fast-paced, complex unionized environment
- Experience in providing advice, support and facilitation with regard to Labour and Employee Relations matters, including grievance and arbitration, discipline, performance, attendance
- management, and other conflict situations
- Strong collective bargaining/ negotiation experience
- Knowledge of employment-related legislation for both provincially & federally regulated workers
- Knowledge of legal principles and framework associated with all aspects of Labour & Employee Relations (including collective bargaining, grievance arbitration, discipline and discharge)
- Proven experience developing and maintaining strong ongoing relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including staff, management, union leadership, and legal representatives
- Demonstrated experience effectively resolving employee and labour relations issues in a proactive and positive manner
- Strong computer skills, proficient in MS Office applications, experience working with a HRIS
- Ability to exercise appropriate levels of discretion and confidentiality
- Bilingual (French and English) is an asset
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Qualified individuals are invited to apply in writing with a current covering letter and resume (provided in one document), stating reference name and number.
Ontario Northland is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources.
Pour des renseignements en français composez le 1.800.363.7512 poste 276.